about 1 year ago
Our client, a top tier international law firm, is looking for a Financial Controller for its office in Brazil. Mandatory requirements: relevant experience managing the finance department of law firms (or professional services background with experience of time billing) and fluent English. Desirable: experience working for an international law firm in Brazil. The successful candidate will be supported by a transactional accounting support.
Key responsibilities include:
- The preparation of Brazil's monthly management accounts (P&L and Balance Sheet) with variance analysis and supporting documentation.
- Posting of accruals, prepayments and other accounting adjustments.
- Preparation of monthly reconciliations for all Brazil's balance sheet accounts including the preparation of monthly office and client bank reconciliations for review and sign off.
- Fixed asset register maintenance.
- Recording of Brazil inter-office transactions by ensuring that all inter-office charges and transfers are properly reviewed, posted and invoiced quarterly to the International offices.
- Preparation of the annual Brazil budget.
- Preparation of monthly cash-flow forecasts with analysis for submission to the head office overseas.
- Reviewing monthly payroll and partners pro-labore payments and liaison with third party payroll providers
- Management of the local Finance team
- Local statutory accounts preparation and review.
- Ensuring compliance with Brazilian taxation legislation where applicable including payment of tax liabilities by deadlines laid down by local tax authorities and liaising with them as necessary. This includes for example the preparation of ISS returns and their timely payments.
- Monitoring retained profits and cash accumulation within the business in order to ensure efficient payment of dividends to partners and transfer of profits to the service company.
- Complying with local social security regulations and ensuring timely payments.
- Providing ad hoc analysis and reporting as required of general ledger account transactions and preparation of other management reports at the request of the office heads and senior finance personnel.
- Supporting the Internal Audit function in carrying out their review of controls, processes and documentation.
- Ensuring that policies and procedures are in place that adhere to the firm’s global standard.
- Liaising with the firm's external auditors, tax accountants, local bankers and external consultants as required.
Key Skills & Experience Required
- Relevant experience managing the finance department of law firms (or professional services background with experience of time billing).
- Experienced managing Billing / Cashiering / Accounts Payable and General Finance functions.
- Strong MS Excel and Word
- Must be proficient in English
- Team player, self-starter
- 'Hands on' individual who is hard working, diligent and proactive
- Excellent Communication skills both verbal and written.
- Good organisational skills with ability to prioritise conflicting demands.